Director, Cognitive and Immersive Systems Lab
Hui Su is an executive and technical leader in IBM Research. He was the director of IBM Research Lab in Cambridge, MA., responsible for a broad scope of global missions in IBM Research, including Cognitive User Experience, Center for Innovation in Visual Analytics and Center for Social Business.
As a technical leader and a researcher for 21 years in IBM Research, Hui Su has been an expert in multiple areas ranging from Human Computer Interaction, Cloud Computing, Visual Analytics, Neural Network Algorithms for Image Recognition etc. Hui has dozens of patents and technologies developed in these areas.
- Hui led Software-as-a-Service research and Business Service Cloud in IBM China Research Lab and Watson Research Center from 2005 to 2012. The new technologies of this research work have become the business services offered by municipalities and business, and software-as-a-service platforms offered by major telecom providers.
- Hui is always passionate about the interaction between human beings and intelligent computers as well as big data. His earlier results in Human Computer Interaction have enabled a broad range of IBM products, including input methods for IBM WorkPads, handwriting recognition for IBM TransNote, multimodal interaction middleware for Pervasive Computing offerings etc. The most recent work in Cambridge Lab in the area of Visual Analytics enables users to interactively explore complex data set and discover business insights. He also led the team develop the Cognitive Experience Lab in Cambridge to enable the multi-screen & multi-channel visualization, as well as the meeting room of the future.
- Hui has also developed curriculums for service engineering and visual analytics and taught in Peking University and University of Connecticut.
As an executive, Hui is always passionate about growing the game-changing ideas, speeding up the impact generation process for technical innovations, discover and develop new linkages between innovative research work and business needs. This includes:
- Establishing In-Market Research(IMR) approach to bring research work closer to business needs and impact. Hui led IMR in establishing a global social business innovation program in the context of Center for Social Business, for research team to provide social business transformation consulting to more than 7 large enterprises and generated huge business impact. Hui also led a few major IMR projects in Cloud Computing research with Government and Telecom clients in US and China to establish business services and cloud platform for them. These platforms are in operation today.
- Developing and maintaining good relationship with clients and academic institutes. The clients include those from various industries ranging from banking, healthcare, governments and telecom etc. Hui also established collaborative projects with academic institutes e.g. MIT, University of Connecticut, Peking Universities, Tsinghua Universities etc. Hui also led the development of service science in China and chaired the first international conference of service science.
- Managing joint programs between development team and research team. This helped transferred a number of technologies in Research to products, ranging from social business technologies, cloud computing technologies, visual analytics technologies and personal computing technologies.
Hui has worked in both US and China as a global technical leader for signifiant period of time in his career and he is very farmiliar with multi-culture environment.
Hui has got the PhD degree and Bachelor degree in Tsinghua University in Beijing, China.